Last year, I decided to write a blog post about all the things I had learned by age 27 (you can read that post here). I have no idea why I did 26 facts instead of 27, but I said what I said & it’s too late to go back now.
Since today is my birthday & I’m officially 28 now, I wanted to share a new list. So much can happen within a year & my outlook on things are a lot different than they were last year. I’m at a different point in my life now & I think it’s important to go back & reflect on things from the past. This is how you learn & try to not repeat the same mistakes. Life goes on to say the least, but this list is truly how I feel today.
It was a rough year, but I made it through. Cheers to 28!♏🍾
- Don’t trust anyone!
- Always put yourself first. It’s not selfish & people will always pick themselves over you anyways.
- You’ll outgrow people & that’s okay.
- Live in the moment & keep taking tons of pictures while doing so.
Your first love isn’t always your last.(This one hurt so bad)
- When people show you who they are from the beginning, believe them.
- It’s okay if you aren’t over the past. Everyone heals at their own pace.
- People who constantly blame you for their issues are not worth your time. No matter how long you knew them.
- Spend quality time with your mom. She only gets older as you continue to as well.
- Always forgive yourself. Especially after shit you put yourself through when you were in love.
- Change is good. Really good.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks that involve amazing opportunities. Missing out is so much worse.
- Watch out for the people who say “must be nice!”
- Life always goes on. Even when you don’t want it to. On those days, count your blessings & be grateful for where you are today.
- Quit trying to mend relationships with people who don’t put in the effort.
- Love hurts so fucking bad. So so so so bad, but I shouldn’t close my heart off to not find love again.
- Take as many trips as you can each year. Having something to look forward to is both exciting & healthy.
- Skin care. Skin care. Skin care.
- There’s always someone who has something negative to say about you. Fuck them.
- Last year I thought people could change. This year I found out they do not. (Unless they REALLY want to).
- Know your worth & stand your ground. Always.
- Growing up, I used to hate my first & middle name so much. Now I’m grateful I don’t have some basic ass name. How many Sorayah’s or Jamila’s are popping up now? K.
- Love yourself more than you love anyone. I mean ANYONE!
- Boundaries are important. State yours & stick to them.
- Help others whenever you can, but always make sure you’re good first. You can’t pour from an empty glass!
- Cats fix EVERYTHING!!! Especially a broken heart. Don’t doubt how much love & affection you can feel from an animal.
- Make a yearly goal list. It will help accomplish the things you want out of life.
- Use writing as an outlet for everything. Write your feelings down. Write the things you want to do. Write your dreams & your goals. Write about your life. Just WRITE!
Thank you to the 460+ people who follow, read, & share my blog! Your support means everything to me! I cannot thank you all enough!